- Collection of Personal Information
- Internet Use
- Disclosure of Personal Information
- Use of Personal Information
- What are my choices regarding collection, use, and distribution of my information?
- How do I update my Personal Records?
- How to make a request for your personal information under the Privacy Act 1993
- What security precautions are in place to protect the loss, misuse, or alteration of my information?
- What else should I know about my privacy?
In this policy Vodafone is referred to as "our, we or us" as appropriate.
Collection of Personal Information
While you are our customer, you agree that we may collect information about you. We collect personal information about you so that we can communicate with you, provide services to you, send you bills, check your creditworthiness, look at ways we can improve our services and develop new services, provide aggregated user information to third parties (without at any time disclosing personal information about an identifiable individual), keep you informed about new services and changes to existing services that we and our carefully selected business partners offer and generally customise your experience on our sites. ‘Personal information’ means any information about an identifiable individual.
We may collect the following information about you:
- Personal information provided by you at the time of accepting any of the services we offer and personal information provided by you at other times, for example when you enter a competition or promotion sponsored by us and/or our carefully selected partners; and when you report a problem with one of our services.
- Information logged by our systems about your use of our services, including the telephone numbers you call and get called from, the internet sites and pages visited by you, your Internet Protocol (IP) address and the dates and times you log on and off our internet services.
- If you contact us or we contact you, we may keep a record of that correspondence.
Some services are only available to you if you provide the requested information.
Promotions by Vodafone may be sponsored by companies other than Vodafone or may be co-sponsored by Vodafone and another company. Some or all data collected during a promotion may be shared with the sponsor. If data will be shared, you will be notified before the data is collected or transferred. You can decide not to participate in the promotion if you do not want your data to be shared.
We also collect IP addresses. IP addresses are assigned to computers on the internet to uniquely identify them within the global network. We collect and manage IP addresses as part of the service of providing internet session management and for security purposes.
We do not control the practices of content providers, partners and advertisers connected with our internet sites and to whom you provide personal information whilst using our internet sites or services. Our internet sites contain links to other sites, which may not follow the same privacy policies as us. We recommend that you check any relevant privacy policies before providing your personal information to any third party.
Disclosure of Personal Information
We may disclose:
- All information that we gather, including your personal information, to Vodafone and its related companies.
- The telephone numbers allocated to you and any other information necessary to other network operators to enable you to make and receive calls through other networks.
- Your telephone number and name and address, to any person using services we provide, including in directories and other such publicly available databases and publications, except where you have specifically directed us not to.
- Your name, address and any information required by another service provider in relation to a service used through our network to allow that service to be charged to you (for example, an 0900 service provider).
- Your personal information to external organisations for the purposes of providing services to you. This may include for mailing operations; billing and debt-recovery functions and installation, maintenance and repair services.
- Aggregated user statistics (for example 17,000 users visit stock related sites monthly) and other information that does not personally identify you, to third parties such as our advertisers, customers, potential customers and partners.
- Your personal information to third parties when we believe in good faith that we are required to do so for the maintenance of law, or to prevent or lessen a serious or imminent threat to public health or safety or the life or health of an individual.
- Your personal information to third parties provided we have your prior authorisation, which we will usually obtain at the time of collecting the information from you.
- Winners' names and other relevant details when we run promotions and competitions.
- Your personal information in any other way that is in accordance with the Privacy Act 1993 and the Telecommunications Information Privacy Code 2003.
Use of Personal Information
We may use your personal information:
- For verification of your identity and assisting you if you ring our customer call centre or request any assistance.
- For verification of your identity and assisting you in case you forget your internet password or login details for our internet registration services.
- For authorising and processing credit card transactions which you enter into online.
- To assist in providing the services requested by you.
- To provide further information to you about other services that we consider to be of interest to you.
- For future marketing, promotional and publicity purposes, including to carry out direct marketing, market research and surveys.
- For dealing with requests, enquiries or complaints and other customer care related activities and all other general administrative and business purposes;
- For any other uses that you authorise.
We may research our users' demographics, interests, and behaviour based on the information provided to us when you register, during a promotion, or from our system log files. We do this to better understand and serve our users. This research is compiled, analysed and made available to our advertisers, customers, potential customers and partners on an aggregated basis only.
What are my choices regarding collection, use, and distribution of my information?
How do I update my Personal Records?
Under the Privacy Act 1993 you have rights of access to and correction of personal information that we hold about you. You can request correction or amendment of the information held by us at any time and as often as necessary by sending us an e-mail to contacting us and specifying the information that you require changed. If it is reasonable in the circumstances for us to do so, we will make the requested change or correction.
For further information about New Zealand's Privacy Act 1993 and how it protects the personal information of individuals in New Zealand, see www.privacy.org.nz.
How to make a request for your personal information under the Privacy Act 1993
You have a right to access your personal information, subject to some exceptions allowed by law. If you would like to do so, please contact us in writing with your request.
What security precautions are in place to protect the loss, misuse, or alteration of my information?
Vodafone takes security very seriously and we have in place appropriate systems to reduce the likelihood of unauthorised access to any personal information that we collect either directly from you or as a result of your use of the services.
Some of our services are password-protected so that only you have access to your personal information. You should not reveal your password to other people and you should change it regularly. Vodafone will never ask you for your password in an unsolicited phone call or in an unsolicited e-mail. Also, if you are using the internet, remember to sign out of your Vodafone account and close your browser window when you have finished. This is to ensure that others cannot access your personal information and correspondence if you share a computer with someone else or are using a computer in a public place.
No data transmission over the Internet can be guaranteed to be 100% secure. As a result, while we strive to protect your personal information, Vodafone cannot ensure or warrant the security of any information you transmit to us or from our online products or services, and you do so at your own risk. We use our best efforts to ensure the security of your transmissions on our systems.
What else should I know about my privacy?
Remember, whenever you voluntarily disclose personal information online - for example on message boards, through e-mail, or in chat areas - that information can be collected and used by others. In short, if you post personal information online that is accessible to the public, you may receive unsolicited messages from other parties in return.
Ultimately, you are responsible for maintaining the secrecy of your passwords and/or any account information. Please be careful and responsible whenever you are online.
We may change this policy at any time and we will tell you about a change in the policy by posting an updated policy on our website. Any change we make applies from the date we post it on the website.